Thursday, June 22, 2017

Literary Excursions with Kerry ~ Metafiction

Greetings to all friends and poets. I continue, with this challenge, to give more focus to the skill of using literary devices , with particular interest in those developed during the modern and post-modern time-frame.

Reading a Book
James Tissot
Fair Use


Metafiction is a narrative technique and a genre of fiction, wherein a fictional work (novel, film, play, poem, etc.) self-consciously draws attention to being a work of imagination, rather than a work of non-fiction. Metafiction poses critical questions about the relation between fiction and reality, usually by applying irony and self-reflection. As a genre, metafiction is comparable to presentational theatre, which continually reminds the audience that they are viewing a play; metafiction continually reminds the reader to be aware that he or she is reading a fictional work. [Continue reading HERE] It became prominent in the 1960s with the publication of such novels as Thomas Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49 and Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five.



Instead of making this idea seem very difficult to contemplate, I hope that we can have some fun with it. Take a good look at the means by which we write poetry (and why we do it) and approach it from a slightly different angle. Truth be told, anything goes.




15 comments:

Maude Lynn said...

I gave it a shot, but I'm not sure I hit the mark! I might be a little late visiting; my blurry vision is really bad today.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Sorry to hear that, Kelli. As for the mark.. everything I do is a shot in the dark these days.
Thanks for participating.

brudberg said...

This is a true challenge... I really need to think about this one Kerry...

Gillena Cox said...

Five words, This is a hard one, will try though

Much love...

Kerry O'Connor said...

I don't want this to be difficult. We all know the process, all this asks is that we peel back the layers somewhat. (I think.)

brudberg said...

OK... I tried a bit. Worked my verbs a bit.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

This was fun!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Um um I tried!❤️ I have no idea if I got it right.. here goes nothing..❤️

Anonymous said...

Nothing to share, but I read.

Magaly Guerrero said...

I almost skipped this one because I had already written something for today. Then I read your prompt, Kerry, and couldn't resist the yumminess. Can't wait to see what everyone else crafted. :-)

Debi Swim said...

I read about metafiction but couldn't quite grasp it so I tried for a
stagy aside to the audience.

Angie said...

Thanks for the cool prompt K! I enjoyed reading everyone's metafiction.

Anonymous said...

jet-lagged and have just driven to London from Yorkshire for a wedding...i will pen...and then sleep...catch upon reading laters xx

Anonymous said...

Dude, Kerry; that was really fun!

Julian said...

Hi All, thanks for the, for me challenging prompt, Kerry.