Definition

One must make a distinction however: when dragged into prominence by half poets, the result is not poetry, nor till the autocrats among us can be “literalists of the imagination”—above insolence and triviality and can present for inspection, imaginary gardens with real toads in them, shall we have it.

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

The Tuesday Platform

Welcome to the Imaginary Garden...

Not an owl on the bough after all;
But a patch of grey light forcing
Through fir. A light-bird.
A bird-light. Returning phantom.
Or poem to my shortening sight.
-John Fowles-

Greetings to all poets and friends! I recently caught up on my John Fowles reading, with The French Lieutenant's Woman, a superb example of post-modernism at its most existential. Fowles is little known as a poet, with many of his pieces published posthumously. Read more on Poetry Foundation.

Once again, the floor is open to those who wish to share a poem of their choice.

Enjoy!


6 comments:

brudberg said...

I love the poem... especially the turn around light-bird and bird-light...

Kim Russell said...

Thank you for sharing the John Fowles poem, Kerry! I didn't know that he wrote poetry and now I will be looking for more. It has certainly inspired me this misty, frosty morning, so much that I didn't notice my frozen toes! I'm off to fidn some warm socks and a hot drink!

Gillena Cox said...

Thanks for the lovely owl sighting in the poem of Fowles;

Have a nice Tuesday

much love...

Justin said...

Cool.

Marian said...

Hi, friends. xo

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Oh, I didn't know Fowles was a poet too! I'll have fun looking him up for more, ta.