Monday, April 14, 2014

Open Link Monday

Welcome to the Imaginary Garden ...

"I have nothing to say, and I am saying it, and that is poetry."

When I came across this quote of John Cage (US composer of avant-garde music), I thought it very apt for Week 3 of the April poetry marathon. John Cage is famous for his composition entitled 4'33. Although it is perceived to be 4 minutes and 33 seconds of silence, Cage proves there is no such thing as silence for the duration of his performance is filled with ambient sound.






I have followed the progress of many toads and our regular contributors to the Imaginary Garden as they have attempted to keep up with the rigorous exercise of producing a poem a day, whether the muse is willing or not. I believe that it reminds us all that writing is a discipline, not a pastime, and it does require a certain amount of our commitment.

It is Day 14 and the halfway mark is in sight. Our Open Link offers you the opportunity to link up a poem written earlier in the week for an independent prompt site or something new, written especially for today on a theme of your own choice. Of course, those who are not participating in NaPoWriMo, or who have fallen by the wayside (like me), may also share their pick of a poem.  And remember to support one another's efforts: we all work in the silence and give it a voice. That is poetry.




19 comments:

Anonymous said...

good week to all ~

Anonymous said...

I wish you all a good week too! I'm so happy I've been able to keep up with NaPoWriMo, and in the past 14 days I've written more poetry than I've done since the spring of 2012. My offering is not a NaPoWriMo poem, though, but something that started on FB... Hope you can give some feed-back!

Marcoantonio Arellano (Nene) said...

a birthday month for me. i wish to celebrate with all of you that i have resided in this world for this long. as a birhday gift i wish for all within reading distance here, everyone smile at a stranger and pass a good deed of sorts forward. happy spring day :-)

Anonymous said...

Happy Monday to the pad crowd. I blow my tidal winds elsewhere and leave something tidier here for the tribe.

avalon said...

Yes, you are right, it is getting harder and harder to keep up the daily poem. Strange that I didn't find it so when I did the NaNoWriMo
last year, and that was quite a few more words :-)
Are you planning to catch up over Easter?

Kenia Santos said...

does writing three poems a day count as a way to keep up with the challenge? School exams week is always the same as the second week of NaPoWriMo and it unfortunately stops me from writing. But I'm back today! Great week to you all!

Marlon O. said...

Hello guys!

I am back from Cape Town.
I wrote this poem over the influence of looking at the Table Mountain.

Have a nice week everybody!

Hugs,

Marlon O.

Susan said...

Welcome to Monday! have a great week. My poem this morning was prompted by trying to get on the internet.

Marian said...

hi, everyone! i feel like i'm in drive-by mode these days. i apologize for my absence in the pond. *waves from a distance and hopes to be back very soon* xo

Kerry O'Connor said...

Hey, Marlon! You were in my part of the world!!!

I hope to catch up over Easter, but I also have my kids back from university this week so much of my spare time is taken up with them.

I'm very happy it is going well with so many people, and Kenia, you have certainly been an inspiration.

Kerridwen said...

I'm a bit behind in NaPo, but hope to catch up. Shared my day 1 poem.

Unknown said...

Hello everyone. Loved each and every contribution here. Have taken the liberty to post two Haiku Poetries that i had written a while ago. Would appreciate feedbacks :)
Happy Monday, all!

Susie Clevenger said...

Hello everyone!

Struggling a bit with NaPoWrMo, but I am hanging in...Today was my ways of giving a shout out to authors. Have a great week!!

Charleen said...

I hope you like my poem as much I enjoyed writing it!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kerry--I've always liked John Cage. He became very unpopular here for a while after some remarks he made about 9/11. I think he was being very candid and sort of philosphical, but it was badly interpreted--I'm trying to remember exactly what it was now--

Anyway, thanks for the support--I've done this april thing before but have found the various prompts really wonderful--very very helpful. Hard to always comment as much as one would like but I've tried to get back to people. Hope all is well with you and you are having a lovely fall. (And feeling better.) K.

Raining Iguanas said...

Hearing peepers in the spring night air, a toad it's not, but beckoned me here to an Imaginary Garden where all are real, all are welcome.

Ella said...

I am sharing a poem that I loved writing. I had fun researching the men who brought photography to life~

Margaret said...

I squeezed in and have successfully written a poem away so far for NaPoWriMo… but they do seem to be getting shorter and shorter :)

I will come back in the morning to comment. Interesting video clip - I like the close ups of everyone's faces.

Ananya said...

HOw I wish I could write poems as beautifully as you all do !

http://www.ananyatales.com/